The definition of the word career is: “an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person’s life and with opportunities for progress.” In general, the heart of our educational curriculums, systems and institutions (Schools, colleges, universities etc.) in the world concentrates on the professional career of the person: How to make students get enrolled in a certain field or major and prepare them to become the professionals of the future (Teachers, engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc.). But what about the fact that students are humans?
Shouldn’t they be nurtured as the future role-taking humans instead of emphasizing the professional aspect in their education? Should we view them as the future good and responsible members of society or just professionals and employees?
In a society where human dignity is acknowledged and respected, educational institutions are required to recognize the importance of developing the quality of being humane and benevolent in the lives of the new generations. The human is not an individual with the merely need of a professional career to have a place or live life truly. The human has to learn and practice the standards of humanity, care and dignity. The human must have the chance to know and learn how to start a career of humanity!
As humans and rational beings, we have the ability to develop constructive ideas and seek the path of progress. Here are 6 ideas and steps that can pave the way to start your new career:
- Learn and practice the values: Every career has certain ethics and patterns to be practiced properly. In the career of humanity, one must practice these standards: compassion, mercy, brotherly love, kindness, understanding, consideration and good-heartedness.
- Establish subjective relationships: Based on the intrinsic dignity of all humans, a value that is not found in objects, you should treat the other as a valuable subject, deserving respect.
- Understand and express solidarity: It is important to be aware of the common grounds that link humans with each other. We, all humans collectively, share one planet to live on, tackle and/or suffer from common challenges and difficulties and face the same fate. Therefore, you should have the spirit of cooperation and harmony to alleviate the difficulties and end the unnecessary suffering of your fellow beings.
- Seek the enriching human experience: If you have the chance to travel don’t miss it! It is a worthwhile experience to explore different cultures, arts and traditions. This will strengthen your sense of belonging to the globe and humanity. In my previous WYA blog post: “What I Would Have Said at the 69th Session of the UN General Assembly”, I explained that the enriching human experience can’t be reached if people of a certain country are missing the development, knowledge, and the vibrant culture of the other and vice versa.
- Improve yourself: Know yourself and look for self-development towards a more advanced condition. As stated by Lao Tzu: “If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself. If you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is dark and negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.”
- Prepare for times of challenge: Practicing principles and moral values in a world of conflicting desires and interests is not an easy mission, so your new career may not always be a pleasant journey but it’s a noble struggle. You should have role models that can inspire you by their positive impact and achievements in history, help you move forward and promote your cause. As stated by Martin Luther King Jr.: “Cowardice asks the question, is it safe; expediency asks the question, is it politic; vanity asks the question, is it popular, but conscious asks the question, is it right. And on some positions, it is necessary for the moral individual to take a stand that is neither safe, nor politic nor popular; but he must do it because it is right.”
- If you are interested in the mentioned ideas and thinking about a practical step to get involved and start the career, then here’s one more idea: Join the World Youth Alliance! Not only you’ll have a beneficial experience as an active member and/or intern, but also you’ll have the opportunity to develop your understanding of the essential concepts needed to make your career: Human dignity, freedom, solidarity, rights…
Have a successful career!
– By our regional intern, Antranik Manoukian, World Youth Alliance – Middle East.